Why Insh'Alla..?

Los Angeles, California, United States
The phrase translates into English as "God willing" or "If it is God's will". I heard this a lot on this trip, and I said it a lot too. I brought the phase home with me and used it for a while in the UK. Sadly time drained the phrase out of my system and the meaning and spirituality of the phase was lost. But I did feel it for a while, and it was a good connection with an almost fatalistic approach to life. We need to have too much control in modern 'civilisation', it's nice sometimes to be able to be free of that and just let things happen 'as God wills it'...

6th August 2000 - Off the plane!


Islamabad airport around 5am


Like walking next to a red hot engine, warm humid heat 0 at 4:30am!
Waited ages for bags then left into a sea of Pakistani faces. Really glad I am not on my own! Got a cab - horn is used more than brake pedal - Rawalpindi looks like a real dump - a concrete jungle of decay. Got to 'hotel' - amazingly bad - smelly - loud fan in roof - horrendous carpet.
Toilet, shower, yuk! what the hell am I doing here? worried about the solo return journey now - think I will go to the best hotel I can find!
Cost wise - twin room 4.50 GBP per night - you cannot camp out for so little back home
This is apparently good according to Brian - I am worried about bad then!
Eating will be a worry - what will the hygiene be like? is this a big expensive mistake???


'Papillons cell'

Footnotes:
This was the biggest culture shock of my life - my negative reactions were due to arriving unprepared straight out of London. My worries and fears did not spoil the trip as I was to think and it was not long before I had 'gone native' and was sat on the concrete floor of the combined loo/shower room doing my laundry in a big plastic bucket that I had previously thought of as 'Papillons Cell'

No comments: